Chess Secrets is a series of books which uncover the mysteries of the most important aspects of chess, such as strategy, attack, defence, opening play, endgames, off-board preparation and mental attitude. In each book the author chooses and deeply studies a number of great players who have excelled in such aspects of the game, greatly influenced their peers and inspired all of us.
In Heroes of Classical Chess, Craig Pritchett selects five great players whose style exemplifies classically direct, clear, energetic, tough, ambitious yet fundamentally correct chess playing attributes. Pritchett studies the major contributions they have made, compares their differing styles and discusses the critical influences they have had on the development of chess, on their peers and on all our games.
Read this book and enhance your own skills. Understand how to play in a classical style and win more games.
|eBook Price from||$17.95|
|Book Pub Date||31 Jan 2010|
|Book Pub Date (US)||31 Jan 2010|
|eBook Pub Date||17 Aug 2011|
Customer Reviews (10)
- Chess ScotlandIan Marks
- Highly recommended
- Chessville.comFM Allan Savage
- Studying the classical players that are the subjects of this book has no comparable, yet I predict this Ã¢â‚¬Å“introductoryÃ¢â‚¬Â work will be wrongly overlooked by many. Students should follow up their reading of this excellent book by an in-depth study of each player from other sources.
- TWICJohn Watson
- Pritchett includes a biographical element to each section, following the basic outlines of each player' career. He annotates seven games for each player, and his notes are not only the most important but the best part of the book. They are highly readable, with more prose and reflection than heavy analysis. When Pritchett does go into analytic mode, he is correctly critical, citing mistakes, and yet he doesn't spoil the drama of the game, as too many notes can easily do. I think most readers will enjoy this book; it has a nice pace and an excellent selection of games.
- Heroes of Classical Chess ist eine nette Biographie- und Partiensammlung.Translation: Heroes of Classical Chess is a nice collection of games and biographies.
- Insgesamt ist "Heroes of Classical Chess" eine gute Partiensammlung und zugleich ein Mosaikstein des Sterns, der den fünf Spielern auf dem Boulevard des Schachspiels gebÃƒÂ¼hrt.A fine game collection and part of each player's star on the Walk of Fame.
- Ein schlaues und informatives Büchlein, das jedermann nahe zulegen istA clever and informative book that can be suggested to every chess player.
- Schach Magazin 64
- All in all an entertaining book for all playing strengths that also contains material that can be used as a good source of teaching material for trainers
- John Donaldson
- Heroes of Classical Chess: Learn from Carlsen, Anand, Fischer, Smyslov and Rubinstein is a book that belongs in every chessplayer's library, especially young ones who are apt to spend most of their time studying sharp openings with a computer and are in need of developing their chess culture.
- BCMJohn Saunders
- Pritchett's writing style is crisp and to the point, and his summaries of the players' careers and styles are also delivered in a felicitous manner
- All in all, this is very readable and accessible volume and one which brings alive games which are 'classic' in more ways than one.