Viktor Korchnoi is a chess legend. In a career which has spanned over 60 years, he won countless grandmaster tournaments, was a four-time Soviet Champion, a multi-time World Championship Candidate, and twice fought for the World Championship in famous battles with his adversary Anatoly Karpov.
Throughout his career Korchnoi continually refined his style and he was as comfortable in defence as he was in attack. He was happy to provoke opponents, accept sacrifices, defend precisely and then ruthlessly exploit weaknesses. In this book, former American Open Champion Cyrus Lakdawala studies his favourite Korchnoi games and examines Korchnoi's skills in the key areas of attack and defence, initiative, exploiting imbalances, accumulating advantages and endgame play. He demonstrates clearly how we can all improve by learning from Korchnoi's play.
Move by Move provides an ideal platform to study chess. By continually challenging the reader to answer probing questions throughout the book, the Move by Move format greatly encourages the learning and practising of vital skills just as much as the traditional assimilation of knowledge. Carefully selected questions and answers are designed to keep you actively involved and allow you to monitor your progress as you learn. This is an excellent way to improve your chess skills and knowledge.
|eBook Price from||$19.95|
|Book Pub Date||31 Mar 2014|
|Book Pub Date (US)||31 May 2014|
|eBook Pub Date||No|
Customer Reviews (5)
- Florida ChessMiguel Ararat
- Lakdawala’s book has several positive features. For instance, the author discusses and explains the nuances behind reversed openings and subtle opening move orders such as the Sicilian, Players on both sides of the English opening will have a lot of material and opening transposition to deepen their understanding of this flexible opening. The annotations of all the games with Korchnoi on the black side of the French Defense are great (and worth the price of the book).
- dailychess.orgLukas Wedrychowski
- Lakdawala managed to combine Korchnoi`s status in the chess world in one book. With the help of his impressive games he pays tribute to the venerable master. Enjoy the numerous annotated games of a chess legend who affected modern chess like nobody else. Recommendation!
- Chess ScotlandIan Marks
- If you want a collection of complex games full of ideas that only a truly original mind could come up with, handled with sympathy and respect, look no further.
- chesscountryblogspot.comWilliam Whited
- Each game is annotated in a thorough but entertaining manner and Lakdawala's books in general are some of the best chess book I have ever read because he makes reading them fun.
- It is beyond question that you learn plenty of things with this book. Additionally you learn more about Korchnoi's personality, his view of and approach to chess and his heritage.