The Grand Prix Attack is one of White's most aggressive ways of fighting the Sicilian. It leads to a sharp, complex battle in which White often launches a direct attack against the black king. The opening has become a powerful weapon in the cut and thrust of tournament chess, where victory is everything and draws are not enough. It has even gained the seal of approval from elite players such as Vishy Anand and Nigel Short, who have both utilized it with success.
In this book Gawain Jones, one of the world' leading experts on the Grand Prix Attack, provides everything you need to know about this opening. Using illustrative games and drawing upon his own wealth of experience, he introduces the key moves and ideas for both sides, taking care to explain the reasoning behind them - something that has often been neglected or taken for granted.
The Everyman Chess Starting Out series has firmly established itself as the leading guide to studying openings for up-and-coming players. These books are distinguished by their easy-to-read layout, the lucid explanations of the fundamentals, and the abundance of notes, tips and warnings to help the reader absorb vital ideas.
- Covers all the main lines after 2 Nc3 and 3 f4
- Includes bonus chapters on the fashionable 2 Nc3 Nc6 3 Bb5
- Ideal for improvers, club players and tournament players
|eBook Price from||$14.95|
|Book Pub Date||25 Jan 2008|
|Book Pub Date (US)||25 Feb 2008|
|eBook Pub Date||14 Jul 2009|
Customer Reviews (6)
- TWICJohn Watson
- Jones does a wonderful job of covering the material most needed by the reader; he even adds ideas which would assist professionals to get by some irritating roadblocks.
- The GuardianDaniel King
- The Grand Prix Attack has been a standard tool on the English weekend tournament circuit for years, and almost a rite of passage for aspiring juniors. But isn't it something we grow out of when we start to play proper chess?This book convinces me otherwise. It is quite a coup for Everyman to get Jones to write this book: he is one of the leading exponents of the GPA, and has brought many fresh ideas to the opening, in particular in the crafty side-line 1 e4 c5 2 Nc3 Nc6 3 Bb5. The idea is to damage Black's pawn structure, and only then play for the traditional kingside attack.
- ChessCafe.comCarsten Hansen
- I found this book thoroughly enjoyable and instructive. This is the way all books should be written.Whether you already play the Grand Prix Attack, or if you are thinking about taking up the opening for the first time, or even if you just face it as black, you should definitely buy this book. It will benefit anyone who takes the time to read it, strong players included.
- marshtowers.blogspot.comSean Marsh
- There's a lot of wisdom, advice and terrific attacking games packed into the 174 page. It provides an excellent, easy to learn system against one of Black's most popular defences. Highly recommended!
- John Donaldson
- Starting Out: Sicilian Grand Prix Attack is a solid first effort by GM Jones and a good introduction to this Anti-Sicilian weapon but is not meant for the hard core GP specialist.
- freechess.de and www.niggemann.com
- Fazit:Ein tolles erfrischendes Buch über den Grand-Prix Angriff! Der perfekte Leitfaden für jeden, der den endlosen Sizilianischvarianten aus dem Weg gehen will. Mr. Jones, saubere Arbeit!(Translation: 'A great, refreshing book on the Grand Prix Attack! A perfect guide for those who wish to avoid endless Sicilian main lines. Good job, Mr. Jones!'